Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall Fair Finds



This weekend we took a family trip to my hometown of Sackville, NB to visit the Fall Fair. The highlight of the trip was definitely when we went to Doncaster farm for the Agriculture Field Day. There was horseback riding, a corn maze, live music and dancing, games, a petting zoo, wagon rides, food and a market. It was fantastic! There were lots of old friends I haven't seen in years and lots of family around too.
Of course, I was ecstatic to see a spinning demo happening in the barn-turned-market. There was an employe of St. James Textile Museum spinning and Heidi Wulfraat from London-Wul Fibre Arts was there with her beautiful fiber and weaving demonstration. There was also lots of knitted products for sale courtesy of Brenda Trafford
- a fantastic creator. She had great knitted hat kits and gorgeous felted bags.
I wanted to buy the entire room but because there was no banking services close by I had to settle on one skein of beautiful handspun wool. Spun in varying thicknesses and dyed with natural dyes it called to me from the basket. I was so in love with it I couldn't even wait to get back to Halifax I had to knit it up right away! I settled on The Yarn Harlot's scarf pattern but since I didn't have enough yardage to make
a full scarf I settled on a neckwarmer that could double as an ear warmer!
It turned out beautifully- the pattern really shows off the varied thickness and colour and texture of the wool. Now, I just need to find the perfect buttons to fasten it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment